K-12 Maine SOCIAL STUDIES TEACHER-LEADER Search (2015-16)
The Maine Department of Education invites you to be part of the inaugural Social Studies Community Teacher-Leader Group. We seek CURRENT TEACHERS OF SOCIAL STUDIES (grades PK-12) who are interested in BECOMING REGIONAL LEADERS in social studies education. Every effort will be made to have the 18 MEMBERS OF THE GROUP represent all grade spans and geographic regions.
If interested, APPLY BY Oct. 30, 2015. Teacher-Leaders will be notified of their selection by Nov. 6.
- Examine research-based practices that support student achievement of proficiency in Maine’s Learning Results for Social Studies including formative assessment.
- Develop a statewide plan in PK-12 social studies education to expand on the knowledge and skills of teachers in order to improve teaching and learning.
- Plan and carry out a professional development opportunity to be delivered once at a regional event and once at a statewide summer event.
- Three 1-day, face-to-face sessions (Dec. 2, March 4, and May 4) at University of Maine at Augusta (classroom of the Holocaust and Human Rights Center)
- Two 1-hour virtual meetings (Jan. and Feb.; dates TBD).
- Contribute to the statewide plan for the teaching and learning of social studies.
- Plan and carry out a professional development offering in your region (March – May) and again at a statewide event ( last week of June in Augusta area). Include formative assessment techniques and at least one lesson plan in your sharing.
- $300.00 ($150.00 per workshop for development and delivery)
- Travel reimbursement (.44 per mile)
- Substitute reimbursement (up to $85 per day)
This is payable by your district upon notification of your selection. $75.00 registration fee which includes all materials, resources and lunch.
- Complete the Social Studies Community Teacher-Leader Application (see form below for detailed instructions)
- Submit to Kristie Littlefield by Oct 30
- You will be notified of your selection by Nov. 6.
Please contact Kristie Littlefield, Social Studies Specialist, with any questions: Kristie.Littlefield@maine.gov or (207) 624-6828.