The Association of Teachers of Mathematics in Maine (ATOMIM) is offering Dine & Discuss: Fractions Edition sessions focused on building developmental understanding of fractions from kindergarten through high school. Sessions, which run from 4 to 6:30 p.m., are planned for Portland (Jan. 16), Waterville (Jan. 16), Pittsfield (Jan. 22), Kennebunk (Jan. 23), Limestone (Jan. 24) and Rockland (Feb. 11).
In this two-session series, participants will:
- Learn about how the concept of fractions and rational numbers develop in the updated Maine Learning Results.
- Follow fraction development from kindergarten through high school.
- Review and recap the Standards for Mathematical Practice.
- Network with colleagues from your region, and meet your District Rep and other ATOMIM Board members.
- Engage in some sample tasks focused on reasoning about fractions and rational numbers.
- Discuss implications for classroom practice.
- Learn about resources to find some tasks to try with your students.
- Two sessions totaling five hours of professional development.
Participants will need to attend both sessions to complete the series. The cost is $24 for ATOMIM members, and $44 for non-members (includes one-year membership) and includes two sessions, materials and a light dinner for each session. To register or learn more about the series, visitwww.atomim.org.